Thursday 16 August 2012

Day 18 - Naples to Athens: TAXI

Got up at 5.30am, showered and got my stuff together. The other 9 boys in the room were away in the land of nod, but as they'd woken me up at 3am (bastards) I made sure I made a bit of noise when I closed the door.

Got downstairs and the receptionist was asleep. What the hell?! I waited for a couple of minutes while I decided what to do, but then his alarm went off. He sat bolt upright and said morning as if he hadn't been asleep. He put his flip flops on and walked behind the desk, ordered me a taxi and then promptly went back to sleep (after giving me the key deposit and opening the door). Italians hey!

The taxi ride, was... Well....

In the immortal words of Sheldon Cooper, when your 'check engine' light is on, you should check your engine.

His check engine light was on. And not in amber. In red. He didn't seem too bothered by this... But then he also didn't seem bothered by red lights, other road users, pedestrians, indicators, road tolls, curbs, me, himself or the brake pedal. The list could go on...

We got to the airport, I paid my €19, and then waited for my check in counter to be announced. I asked, but it seemed they wouldn't open until 8am. It was now 6.45am.

Piss it.

Bought a paper, read that. Bought a kit kat (breakfast), ate that. Bought some gum, chewed that. Finally, the minutes ticked past and I threw my bags at the same woman who in fact hadn't done anything since I first arrived (I watched) and joined the back of the longest security queue I've ever seen.

Now, I should remind you at this point that Europeans in general do not queue like the British. We see a line and courteously join at the back... Alas, my fellow passengers thought this wasn't for them, and instead just walked to the front. Once the third person had gone past, I tutted loudly (as Brits do) and shook my head. A Liverpudlian lady saw me, and said 'they're so rude'. Between me and her family of four we made a human barrier in the queue. The irate Italians behind kept saying excuse me in English but we pretended we couldn't understand them... Awwwwww.

Gate A9 for my flight... Lovely. My favourite gate number...

As I sat and waited for my boarding to start I watched the other flights line up to depart. I tried to guess where each line was going without looking at the departure board.

Totally pale skinned and a few ginger people... Obviously the flight to Dublin... YES!

Fake tanned, despite being in southern Italy for a week, massive hoop earrings, skin tight jeans three sizes too small... Liverpool... YES!

Two for two.

Slightly 'out of it', long shaggy hair, look like they've had a late night and an early start... Amsterdam... YES!

Going well.

Olive skin, not really 'queueing', talking with their hands... Milan... YES!

Towels over the suitcases... Berlin... YES!

Easy one.

Moody, beret, carrying a baguette... Paris... YES!

Okay, so I made the last two up but you get the general idea. Airports are the funniest places ever, you see the best and worst of humanity.

Oh! And there was a man wearing crocs. I don't care what anyone says; there is NEVER an excuse. Don't wear them.

'Those crocs look really nice on you' said no one, ever.

When I was checking in, a Norwegian family were at the next counter; a mother and father and their three sons. All perfectly blonde. They're sat opposite me right now. Watching them restores my faith in the world a little.

Their eldest son, about 17, is playing with his little brothers, perhaps 9 or 10. The mother and father are sitting looking into each others eyes. They all look so happy. It was very cute. Not really sure why I'm telling you this... Another little anecdote for you all to read while you're going to bed.

Got on the plane. It was... Well tiny. Only four seats across. Arrived in Athens and the tiny plane decided to park (do planes park?) at the furthest point from the terminal so off the plane onto a bus to the baggage reclaim. Brilliantly my bag was first so grabbed it and walked through arrivals and who should I see....

Henry.

The little shit of a boyfriend had surprised me and was spending a week with me in Athens. Cutie pie.

No hostel living for me. The four star hotel that Henry had booked was in the city, so we got a taxi that took us straight there. Lovely

This is going to be a good week.

We crashed at the hotel and unpacked. Naturally I did my washing in the bath so I have clothes to wear for the week.

Anyway. We went for a walk and stumbled across the original Olympic stadium. It's €1.50 to get in and has a free audio guide.

It was and still is the biggest structure in the world made purely out of white marble and can hold 60,000 people. It's very impressive. We climbed to the top and looked out into the distance. The Acropolis stands high above the city in the background. Henry said we're doing that in the morning because it gets crowded in the afternoon; who's the worldy traveller now.

So walked back and went to bed.

Yup. 9.50pm and I was fast asleep.

So join us tomorrow for more Henry and Olly adventures!

Loves x

1 comment: