Wednesday 1 August 2012

A Papel Visit - Lunch with Benny

Day three - Rome: Vatican City, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps

Beautifully sunny day again. Yesterday there were a few clouds but today's just blue sky from side to side. Sadly, I'm going to the Vatican, so have to wear trousers. Eurgh!

So, how British am I talking about the weather?

Anyway, forgot to charge my iPod last night, so doing it today before I go out. It's got until 11.45am to be charged, then I'm going...

Walked down to the Vatican. Got lost. Really lost. About two hours lost.

Eventually found my way back to the Vatican Museum, which, while incredible, was very very busy. I managed to sandwich myself between two tour groups so got a little space now and again. Took hundreds of pictures, I have no idea what they're of, but they're there for me to look at later.

The Sistine Chapel was so busy. The idea of no shorts and no photography kind of goes out the window here. They don't really care...

Was a naughty boy and used the group exit from the chapel down to St Peter's Church rather than go back out and join the queue from the square, which was 5 hours by this point. Clever Olly nipped straight back into St Peter's without queuing at all.

St Peter's itself is very grand. But again, busy. Touched some guys foot (a statue of a pope I think). I think it's supposed to represent good luck.

Wondered back across the square and posted some postcards with Vatican stamps which are apparently very fashionable and collectible. They're just stamps. But never mind. Still cheaper than stamps at home. First class is 12p and second class is 9p. Some of you will be getting a nice little surprise soon I hope!

So lunch was in a roadside pizzeria. It was lush. Had spaghetti. No bolognese. Just spaghetti in tomato sauce topped with parmesan and black pepper. So good.

The afternoon was just mind of made up of wondering around not really knowing where to go. (That's what I call getting lost by the way).

I was, in fact, so lost that I had to ask someone for directions. My Italian is, primitive to say the least. I managed, "Parla Inglese?" which means "Do you speak English?" to which her answer was yes. RELIEF.

Found myself at the Pantheon. Now that is an incredible building. The biggest singularly cast concrete (yes, the Romans invented pouring concrete) dome in Christendom. 145 metres across and 145 metres high (from the base of the dome). If that's not enough to confuse you, the oculus at the top, the 9 metre wide hole in the ceiling, is the only light source and doesn't have any glass in it. So when it rains. The church gets wet. 'When it rains' yeah, right.

From there, headed north-east towards the Trevi Fountain which was quite literally packed full of people. I reckon half of Rome was there. Not as spectacular as I thought it would be. Might go back when it's a bit quieter.

Had a nice gelato and managed to get to the Spanish Steps in Piazza de Spagna easily. I did what the guide book said and sat and watched the world go by. Made a friend with a ginger American girl, also on her own in Rome, but here for three months. She was reading Virginia Wolff. I think our conversation of 'who was the most beautiful man on the steps' was much more interesting though.

From here, headed back to the room. Phoned Henry. Phoned the parentals. Got a little home sick, then realised it was just hunger. I'm too exhausted and I can't be bothered to go out now.

Until tomorrow!

P.S. I hope you realise I've written that despite the fact that I'm exhausted and need sleep! :-)

1 comment:

  1. That's it, just take what someone else has said and pass it off as your own. (Lunch with Benny).

    I look forward to reading tomorrows.

    ReplyDelete