Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 46 - Sydney to Auckland: Qantas? Shitas!


I got up at 2am. 2am... yes you read that right... 2am. Silly me for booking a 6am flight.

Fucking hell. Got up and grabbed a taxi, got to the airport and checked in. All very normal so far.

Then... take off... this announcement came over the cabin... “This is your captain speaking (etc) we’re expecting a little turbulence this morning...”

Oh brilliant.

Take off was shit. Ascent was shit. Turbulence lasted for all of the two hours. Nightmare. One of the worst flights I’ve ever taken. Even the cabin crew were shrieking. Finally landed in Auckland and the captain apologised to everyone as we got off. I gave him a proper ugly look and stalked quickly through immigration.

Walked through the arrivals gate and had to wait five minutes or so for Sara  and Lucas to arrive (because of the strong tail wind that caused the turbulence we got there 40 minutes early)

Now, the last time I saw Sara was at least two years ago and I’ve yet to meet Lucas who is now 8 months old. Needless to say we used to spend a lot of time together. Sara lived in London with her husband Scott who was my Mum’s cousin. Tragically, Scott passed away in 2008 after a very short illness.

Mum went out to New Zealand shortly after he passed away but I hadn’t seen Sara until 18 months ago when she visited us in England. She’s now happily settled with Chris, her partner and Lucas, their son. I was so looking forward to seeing Sara and Chris again!

Drove back to Sara’s house after an emosh hello and had a brief view of the city which looked beautiful. Sara and Chris’ house is lovely and properly Kiwi. Betty (my Mum’s auntie – my great auntie) and Alison (my Mum’s cousin – my second cousin) popped over and we had a lovely catch up... I say catch up, I saw Betty when I was about 14 and I’ve never met Alison. I won’t post too much about them because it was so fantastic and I couldn’t even begin to tell you everything we talked about, but I am so looking forward to getting to know them properly while I’m over here.

So, tomorrow the sightseeing begins early. Off to One Tree Hill.... YEAH I KNOW RIGHT!

Miss you all. Love you loads. x

No comments:

Post a Comment