Sunday 7 October 2012

Day 41 - Brisbane: Walking (again)


Today I decided to get out and explore Brisbane on foot. I caught the 390 into the city and  took myself on a three hour walking tour of the cities sights.

First stop was the South Bank, which I’d only seen a small part of with Tara and Harriet. I walked down to the Maritime Museum which sits at the south end of South Bank (which is actually on the west of the river). There is a small museum and a dry dock which I walked around for half an hour or so. There is an old Navy Friggot (or however you spell it) there and its tug, which is now locked into its final resting place by a bridge. The goodwill bridge was built as a pedestrian only walkway across the river. It has really good views over the city and the breeze was very welcome

Over the bridge, I was back into Brisbane CBD and walked through the City Botanic Gardens. I nearly shit myself when a snake slithered past me, but the signs all said none of the species here dangerous. I wasn’t convinced and headed up towards the old Customs House before heading back into the city centre.

There was a huge long line of teenagers along the central road, the Queen Street Mall. I followed the queue to the front and found them waiting to go into a small clothes shop that had one sign saying “Buy one tee, get one free” in the window. I asked the guy on the door what was going on and he quite simply said “end of season sale mate” and ushered the next five girls through the door. From what I can work out, it was a shop similar to Jack Wills or Hollister. I walked past, annoyed that it was just a shop. I thought for a second that a boy band might have been giving away free snogs or something...

Spent the next three hours or so wondering around the city and then found my bus stop and headed back to Matilda... It was already dark and my bed was calling so while this isn’t the longest post on the blog, it isn’t the shortest. The next one will be.

Loves x

No comments:

Post a Comment