Tuesday 9 October 2012

Day 44 - Sydney: Singing and that


I slept in a lay by last night. First and last time ever. It was... loud. The lorries kept going past all night, and then it started raining at 6am. I literally couldn’t bare the noise any longer. I got up and drove the final 50km to the camper hire place. I had a chat with Matilda on the way and she agreed that even though we’d probably never see each other again, we did have some wonderful times and she will think about me every day, and I’ll look at her picture every day. Shirley, the bitch, kept interrupting, but once I’d told her that she was coming with me, she shut up.

Drove through Sydney to the camper hire place and gave away the food I had left to a pair of German guys who were just embarking on a trip. Exchanged the keys with the guy in the workshop and called a taxi.

The taxi rocked up probably 40 seconds later and the guy lowered the window and called my name. He winked at me, which was probably the clue right there not to get in the taxi, but I did anyway. He turned around and asked me where we were going. I jumped in the front and everything I said to him he kept saying “very good, yes, yes, very good” and drove off into the city. He actually was a lovely lovely guy.

His name was Ben and came from Burma to Australia in 1984. He had a really cute face and when he smiled his teeth (or lack of them) was hilarious. We had a lovely chat and he asked me which part of my family was from Asia.

Yeah, you didn’t read that wrong.

He thought I had Asian blood in me. I had it all to do not to laugh hysterically in his face. I eventually palmed him off with the fact that I had Spanish blood in me (which I have, about eight generations back) and he seemed happier. He told me where to go to see all the “pretty rich ladies” at a bar that he pointed out as we drove past and generally just pointed things out to me.

I was staying at the Metro Hotel on Pitt Street which is one of the four main roads that stretch North from the bridge and Opera House all the way south to the airport. He dropped me off and knocked $10 off the fare, gave me his card and said goodbye. It was midday and I was early for check in, but naturally, I flirted with the guy behind the desk and he gave me my key card.

Now the room...

It was massive. I booked it on Late Rooms and got a really good deal. There is a queen sized bed, and a separate sitting area. The bathroom is huge, with a walk in shower (it’s a wet room) and a Jacuzzi bath. Strangely there is also a hi-fi in the bathroom... not sure what that’s about. So the bed... omg... it’s so soft and big. And the towels... oh heaven. To think I’ve been living in a van for three weeks when this was sitting here... fabulous.

I unpacked and had a shower (and a poo, which I’d had to hold for coming on 48 hours) and walked out into the streets.

Now, I’ll try and explain what happened next.

As I walked down the steps, I put my iPod on shuffle. The selection was Whitney Houston – I wanna dance with somebody... the first ten seconds played while I walked and stood in the pavement. I looked up and around and decided to go right. As I took my first step, the music got going and I walked through the street strutting to Whitney. I felt like I was in a film.

Sydney is lovely. It’s very cosmopolitan. The only other city I’ve ever been in which feels the same is London, and everyone knows my love of London. The streets were alive with people. Not uncomfortably so, but it was lovely. I walked the half a mile or so and found myself walking under a railway bridge and then found myself looking out onto the Sydney Opera House.

I really didn’t know what I felt when I saw it. It’s so iconic and basically everyone in the first world has seen a picture of it. Up close, it doesn’t look anything like it does in the pictures.

Well, obviously, it is the same building, but up close it isn’t as white as it looks and while it’s huge, it’s slightly unstated and fits into the background and surrounding city rather than standing out. The bridge next to it is probably more impressive, I’m climbing it tomorrow as well!

So I thought I’d spoil myself and have a McDonald’s for dinner. Mainly because I was so utterly starving, but also because I could destroy a Big Mac.

So yeah, until tomorrow!

(Much better day today)

Also.... Big thumbs up to Adam and Chris. I’m so HAPPY! WOOHOO! 


No comments:

Post a Comment